Monday, December 8, 2008

Pumpkin Bread!! (Oh, so good)

For the last 3 years I've made pumpkin bread without fail. Every year I change a little something, but for the most part, it stays the same. I can't resist waking up in December, throwing the loaf in the oven and going back to bed-- just to wake up again to the tantilizing smell of spices, pumpkin, fresh baked goods.

It's divine.

My recipe started out somewhere... I believe I was eyeing a few banana bread recipes and decided to make up my own pumpkin variety. Though, honestly, I may have taken three or four pumpkin bread recipes and combined them to make what I thought would be tastiest. Then I went off from there, changing something here, altering something there.

I used to add water into every batch to make it moister, but over time I realized that the pumpkin I roast and then freeze and then thaw is very, very watery-- which made my pumpkin bread kind of fall apart. I took out the water this year and it's the perfect amount of moistness (even four days after, as I had a piece today).

A few weeks ago I had ideas for recipes like none other. I still do, but most of them are sweet... I've also gotten my boyfriend to cook more so I might start taking pictures of what he makes. This weekend he roasted/smoked me a Turkey, and it was very very very good. I feel like the luckiest. :)

Holiday Pumpkin Bread

¼ cup melted butter
¾ cup white sugar
1 egg
¾ cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon all spice
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
¼ cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1/8 cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoon butter

Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.

Prepare either a regular sized loaf pan or two mini loaf pans by spraying with Pam or greasing them. Sprinkle the insides with about a tablespoon of white sugar, barely dusting the bottom and edges.

Soak the cranberries in a mixture of sugar and warm water.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, and eggs. Add the pumpkin and vanilla extract and mix well.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, soda, powder, salt, and spices. Add to the pumpkin mixture and stir together.
Drain the cranberries and pat dry, roll in a little bit of white sugar and then fold gently into the batter.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

In a small, separate bowl, combine the remaining butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts. Sprinkle the mixture over the loaves of bread.

Bake an hour to an hour and a half -- or until a toothpick comes out clean.



Top with butter or cream cheese icing

4 comments:

KJ said...

This looks great. I love the idea o adding cranberries. It sounds like a perfect combination.

Megan said...

these photos remind me of monkey bread. this sounds absolutely delicious. what a perfect accompaniment to a hot cup of coffee on these chilly winter days :)

Kevin said...

Thatl ooks nice and moist and good. I have been enjoying pumpkins and squash lately.

maria said...

Hello!

I saw your blog and thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite you to our new culinary website which has just started.

This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

For more please visit:
http://tastyquery.com

TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

best regards