Waffles topped with Strawberries and Bananas


I really love waffles. Both Jeff and I love waffles... actually one of the first times I hung out with Jeff was at a waffle party where he invited us over and made a lot of people waffles (from bisquick mix I believe). It was tasty, it was fun, and we haven't done it since we've moved to Los Angeles-- which is really unfortunate.

But every now and again I'll make waffles. I think that it's because sometimes when I make waffles I'll separate out the egg whites and beat those so that there'll be more rise and crisp to the waffle. I can't remember if I did that this time (I made these a little while ago), but I included it just in case I did. If you want to omit that step and just use 3 whole eggs, feel free. Because I may have. I made these on May 9th, the day before Jeff's birthday. One of the reasons I did was because his friend Nick was in town, and we all decided waffles would be a delicious way to start the day! I also made funfetti cake this day, which will be in the next post....

But eating waffles really brings me back. When I was a kid, my dad would always make waffles from a waffle mix, which I didn't mention in my Pumpkin Waffles post. He'd heat up his square skillet (with not-so-deep holes) and make us these square waffles that we coated in Mrs. Buttersworth and all would be well. We'd often have bacon and sausage. It was always delicious and tasty and I looked forward to days when my dad would make them.

When I was in college, though, they had one of those Belgian flippy waffle irons in Cafe SCAD (the college food area). You'd pour in the batter and flip it over and it'd make tasty thicker waffles with a crisp edge, more like the ones here-- though thicker. So as you see I have a lot of fond memories of waffles. I hope to one day make tons of waffles for my children so that they get to be delighted by weekend morning waffles like I would be. Who knows, by then I might be using box mix again-- though I doubt it, considering my joy of baking from scratch.


As you can see from these posts, we topped the waffles with fresh strawberries (from the El Segundo farmer's market), as well as some bananas and powdered sugar. I put a little butter on mine too, but man, they were delicious. They were light and slightly crispy on the outside. I really love how they photograph because all the rivets of the waffles make for interesting lighting.

I highly recommend more weekend morning waffles, for everyone. Including myself. Maybe I'll come up with some new varieties. :)


Waffles, topped with Strawberries and Bananas

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated.
1 cup milk
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar

strawberries and bananas, sliced in a bowl
whipped cream, powder sugar for garnish

Preheat a waffle iron.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks and sugar until the sugar is dissolved and the eggs have turned a pale yellow. Add the butter and vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Mix in the milk and buttermilk.
Add in the flour mixture, stirring to just combine.
In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and gently fold into the waffle batter.
Spray the iron with a nonstick cooking spray and pour enough batter to barely cover the area of the iron. It should only take 3 minutes or so per waffle to cook completely, though that depends on the waffle iron. Repeat until the waffles are complete.

Top with strawberries, bananas, powder sugar, butter, or whatever you want!

Comments