Avocaffles


I will happily count this meal as a sweet one, though there were some savory aspects. Let's see if I can do this!! When I was given this giant bag of avocados by my pal Jack, I did some reasearch on all the ways I could use them. I came up with a recipe for Avocado and Buttermilk Waffles at Avocado.org, and was prepared to make it!

After losing and then retrieving my waffle iron (which I was very happy about, Kyle had kindly been holding onto it for me) I made these this morning. They were a great way to start off a long day ending with a short journey. Plus, I'm excited to have avocado waffles in my freezer when I return. I will be eating all of them with a smile on my face!

Of course, I had some problems.... I realized I was out of milk (I refuse to buy anything perishable before a trip, even if the trip is for three or four days. I can't handle the idea of it spoiling. I even unplugged my Playstation 3 and Wii and all my other electronics! I washed all my dishes and took out my trash! I know things are fine for three days without me, but I guess I am too prepared...) so I had to improvise. For an afternoon snack I was going to make myself some greek yogurt with honey and almonds... but into the waffles it went. It actually did really well; originally I was going to use milk soured up by some apple cider vinegar, but greek yogurt's already got the tart. The finished waffles were a little heavy, but also super light and creamy and rich. It really worked well.

Give them a try! The avocado/orange combo is actually really, really tasty. I was surprised!
I even brought some to my friends at work and they said it was pretty terrific. It's nice to be cooking again. Should I make my little brothers and my parents some food when I get home?
Only if my brother Chris doesn't fatten me up instead...


Avocaffles
Extremely adapted from The California Avocado Commission

2 large eggs, yolks and whites divided
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 dash cinnamon
1/2 an Avocado
6 oz 0% Greek Yogurt
Approximately 1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melted Butter

1/2 an avocado
1/2 an orange, cut into 8 segments
Bacon!!!!!
Maple Syrup!!!!!!!

Mix egg whites until foamy and gradually add sugar, mixing until the whites form stiff, glossy peaks. While the egg whites are beating, in a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.

In another bowl, mash the avocado. Add the egg yolks and stir. Whisk in the yogurt, water, and vanilla.

Add the mashed avocado mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just incorporated. It will seem dry. Fold in the stiff egg whites.

Brush the waffle iron with butter. Pour the batter into the waffle iron and make as you would normally make your waffles (I hope this isn't your first time).

Serve with slices of avocado and orange, butter, and maple syrup!!

Comments