Rose Berry Float



I saw this post somewhere awhile ago and immediately fell in love. I love rose in things. Rose ice cream was one of my favourites at this ice cream shop in Savannah called Leopold's (a producer owned it, Leopold Stratton I think?). He made awesome rose ice cream. Also, rose in baklava, cookies, cheesecake, all good ideas. For Valentine's Day I made rose cheesecake (still haven't posted that... I think)-- but a rose float? oh jeez! That sounds amazing.

So I went to this little market in the Farmers Market on 3rd Street to Monsieur Marcel's and they had not only rose water (yumyum) but rose nectar, which is like... already sweet, and from... the nectar, I guess? So I also have a bottle of that-- it's a soft, perfumy pink fluid sitting in my fridge (still). And it's amazing.

Part of the reason I got the nectar was for this float, it seemed like a good idea. I had strawberry ice cream in my freezer for forever, as well as some frozen berries (including ones I picked last year with Jeff in San Fran. Woops.) Those ingredients combined made this amazing float-- luxurious and delicious. I admit, the water with the rose was... perfumy, not as much sweet. I think a float goes better with more sweetness in the liquid. Maybe mixing a strawberry or raspberry juice with carbonated water and the rose would have been a bit more appetizing, then also floating the berries and strawberry ice cream in it. Yeah, that'd be good. Or perhaps using a sweeter soda water than I did.

But whatever the case, I still really enjoyed it-- I felt like Marie Antoinette, drinking a rose flavoured delicacy. And as far as I'm concerned you can't steer wrong with that.


Rose Berry Float
Recipe from The Jewels of New York

1 1/2 cups sparkling water
1 teaspoons rose syrup
1 teaspooon rose nectar
1 scoop strawberry ice cream
raspberries and blackberries to garnish

In a tall tumbler, mix in Pellegrino and rose syrup. Add in raspberries and blackberries and top with a scoop of strawberry ice cream.

Comments