Potato Kale Stew


Finally I'm getting around to actually catching up with my posts! Maybe when I catch up I'll feel like cooking more. :) There's nothing that gets me motivated more than running out of posts for Foodival, hah!!
I made this stew on my kale-kick. I'd say it's a really healthy stew, but it's full of coconut milk, which is not healthy. Otherwise it's just vegetables-- potatoes, sweet potatoes, the kale. Some onion. It's basically like a curry, but less awesome than the curries I've had at thai restaraunts. :( Though still very good.
Because this was supposed to be like.. you know, a soup or stew. It's supposed to be thinner and more liquidy. I wouldn't say it was perfect but it did a good job. And it was nourishing, though not my favourite. Brian liked it a lot, but I thought it was rather bland, personally. But I think that's because when I looked at it I expected it to be yellow curry, knew it wasn't, and it definitely didn't taste like it. I served it with a bit of toast, because I like toast with my stew.
It's a good try, it's vegetarian, so that's nice.


Potato Kale Stew
Recipe from 28 Cooks

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 small sweet potato, cut into 2" pieces
1 small white potato, cut into 2" pieces
1/4 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2" dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 can coconut milk
1 cups sliced fresh kale leaves

In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and salt, and saute 3-4 minutes until it starts to soften. Add potatoes, bell pepper, garlic, ginger, and spices, and saute for a minute or two. Add coconut milk and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Add kale leaves, remove from heat, and allow to sit for a minute or two for kale to soften. Serve and enjoy!

Comments