Holiday Pumpkin Bread

Nearly every Christmas (except for last Christmas), I make this pumpkin bread. When I was in school in Savannah, I created this recipe based on loving pumpkin and wanting healthy pumpkin bread. Over the years, it's changed to become less healthy. And more pumpkiny. Hah! I love pumpkin bread.

This year I promised Brian that I'd make it for him when I got back from Christmas Break. Because of many many things I didn't actually do it until like a week and a half ago, and then we consumed it rapidly. But I'm glad I made it, it wasn't that hard-- I thought it'd finish off my pumpkin, but it didn't end up doing so. So I still have lots of pumpkin left. That's my goal to finish off after I finish the Eggland stuff. I have a lot of food goals. (This post probably won't get posted until after I post all the Eggland stuff. I feel theme-y).

Admittedly, my pumpkin bread is thick, it's a bit heavy, but it's super moist. It's nice and sweet. The pumpkin would be stronger flavoured if my pumpkin was fresher-- but it's still very pumpkiny. Brian said he could taste it (when he didn't put butter on it. My boyfriend is awesome). I love the texture of cranberries and nuts in it, but I know a lot of people have a problem with texture in their baked goods, so feel free to take them out and whatever. I like them there. And also the struesle style on top.

I suggest cutting off slices, toasting, spreading with a small amount of butter, and serving with coffee and cream. Or tea. Or ice cream. Hah!


Holiday Pumpkin Bread

1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
¾ cup pumpkin puree
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon all spice
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
¼ cup dried cranberries
1 small bag chopped walnuts
1/8 cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon flour

Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.

Prepare a loaf pan by spraying with Pam or greasing them. Sprinkle the insides with about a tablespoon of white sugar, barely dusting the bottom and edges.
Roll the dried cranberries in sugar.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, and eggs. Add the pumpkin and water and mix well. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. Add to the pumpkin mixture and stir together.
Stir cranberries and about 1/4 cup walnuts into the mixture.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
In a small, separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and remaining walnuts, butter, and flour. Sprinkle the mixture over the bread.
Bake one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Comments