Adventures in Eggland: Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse

I really like chocolate mousse. It was one of the first 'fancy' desserts I ever made. It's nice to revisit it from time to time, though it's so heavy (unless I make a light mousse, I guess), that I don't make it often. I should make it more, it's not like it's all that complicated. Still, I dunno, cookies tend to be easier and more versatile for me. Though that's just because I haven't been pushing my creativity as much lately.

That said, I want to explain that this post will be short. I'm sick, and I feel weak lately. I expended my energy this morning making a nice eggland breakfast so that will be updated soon. So, not as much rambling. Probably.

Also sorry for the pootastic pictures. Brian kept giving me a shoulder massage as I tried to take snapshots. Also, green may not be the best backdrop for everything. Note to self taken.

That said, mousse was very good!! I liked the extra touch of frangelico, inspired from Not So Humble Pie. I like Frangelico, it's one of my favourite liquors. I normally have no trouble mixing mousse, though, and this one I couldn't get the chocolate to completely incorporate, I had to put it through a sieve. And even then it was still a very thick (tho delicious) mousse in the end. Might have been too much chocolate. It was ridiculously sweet, in a good way, but very heavy-- Brian and I split the portion I made and it was probably too much for two people. I definitely got a tummy ache, we had eaten a lot.

But it was so rich and delicious and smooth that I was happy. The recipe is below. Can't tell if Eggland eggs had anything to do with it, but whatever, they're eggs, and they're good eggs. Maybe the vitamins in them will help me get better.

Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse

2 egg yolks
¼ cup granulated sugar
1/6 cup Frangelico liquor
½ cup dark chocolate pieces (I use chips)
½ cup heavy cream

Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until rich and creamy and ribbons form. Put on top of a double boiler and whisk together, until thick and cream-- do not allow to clump or get too hot, continuously whisk! Add the liquor and whisk, again, until thick. Remove from the double boiler and add the chocolate-- they will melt while you whisk.
In a separate bowl whisk the heavy cream until large and fluffy. When the chocolate mixture is cool, fold together and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Serve topped with slightly sweetened whipped cream.

Comments