Adventures in Eggland: Cloud Souffle

Can I say oh-my-god?

This was amazing!
It was so simple.... tasting. Sort of. BUT AMAZING.
Basically while searching for things I wanted to make with my Eggland eggs, I found this recipe for 'Cloud Souffle' at Almost Bourdain. It was gorgeous, and it didn't seem too difficult, and I had to have it. So last weekend we woke up, stretched, and I made it.
Ironically, it's really not... a souffle. Like, it's more of a meringue, but it's still really good. Souffle, I mean, has flour and is a bit more cake like with a mix of the yolk inside of it, all tempered and such, but--- but... whatever! Right? It doesn't matter what it is as long as it tastes good-- kind of like my zucchini hash that wasn't really, technically, a hash.


So how do I properly describe this? Look above. You'll see the fluffy meringue layer (egg whites, beaten with a bit of salt, provided the cup and topping for this delectable dish). Inside is a mix of the cheese, the egg yolks, the cream. The pepper. It's like... the richest, creamiest breakfast that's so pretty to look at. Brian said that it doesn't make a lot of sense for any normal morning, but for guests it would be awesome.
I said I should make it for his mom sometime.
See what I did there?

The original recipe calls for Gruyere cheese-- but I didn't want to buy any new cheese since I had the Fontina left over from one of the pastas I made recently. I really liked the fontina cheese in it, I think gruyere would have been good, but gruyere is a little less... rich than fontina. I liked the richness it added.


I also have way more pictures than I have things to say about this. It was sooo yummy, but I've already described it. It wasn't difficult to make. Though a little time consuming. I actually cooked it longer than the original recipe called for-- and I accidentally broke one of the yolks when I put it in there, but Brian said that I should tell people to do that, because it was tasty. That yolk kind of cooked and had little pieces that Brian really enjoyed.

Nuvolone
Recipe from Almost Bourdain

2 eggs, separated
Sea salt
1/8 cup cream
1/8 cup sliced Fontina cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer. When they start to become stiff, and salt to taste (shouldn't be too much). Continue beating the egg whites until they firm stiff peaks, like a meringue.
Spoon the egg whites into a ramekin. With the back of the spoon, make a well in the middle, pushing the egg whites up the sides-- you'll need to only put about half or a fourth of the egg whites in to achieve this. Carefully drop the egg yolks into the well. Add the cream and fontina cheese, and grind some black pepper over. Add the knob of butter. Top with the remaining egg whites to form a lumpy peak, cloud style.
Bake for 5-10 minutes, until the cloud is golden but not burnt or cooked, watch it carefully. You have to cook it a little longer to make sure that the inside with the cream and egg is hot. The butter, egg, and cream should all be heated thoroughly.
Serve and enjoy.

Comments