Turkey Burgers

I've been trying to eat a little healthier lately (not only for my sake), and that resulted in me getting onto a huge protein kick which involved wanting to buy buffalo, the grocery store not having it, and me buying Turkey instead. It's a lean protein-- and a tasty one, but not as good as buffalo.

But I like ground Turkey. I got the extra lean kind and used it for the rest of the week, cooking it up in scrambles or in pastas. I tend to add a lot of spices which make the turkey super tasty. Can't go wrong with that. But I can't necessarily tell you what spices, it changes every time-- but I tend to stay in the heavy on the garlic, poultry spice, maybe some cajun, and then rosemary or thyme or both. Sometimes parsley? I dunno, I really like playing with it-- cinnamon is a good spice to sometimes add as well. I've done that before, though not for the Turkey burgers. For the turkey burgers I just did different types of herbs so as to compliment the cheddar cheese and our sparse toppings.

This is me cooking the turkey burgers in a cast iron skillet-- my roommates have one and I try to use it as much as possible. One, because my skillets are packed away. Two, because I like cast iron and also Alton Brown tells me to. *zombie face*.

I cooked the patties and then covered them with cheese, of course. I basically coated the pan with olive oil, so its sort of like pan frying. I guess it is pan frying. I don't have a grill right now! I actually have no idea where my indoor grill is at the moment (oh wolfgang, I miss you). And there isn't any room for it anyway. On the plus side, the shredded cheese that fell off turned into tasty fried cheddar cheese crispies. Mmm.

We finished off our burgers on wheat bread (no buns, this was an impromptu dinner), sliced fresh sweet onioon, and spinach. They were very tasty, nothing overpowered the flavor of the herbed turkey, so that was nice. I really like fresh onions on my burgers, thanks to In-n-Out. They very much got me into that amazingness.

This wasn't so bad for a quick, easy meal. From like, a month ago.

Turkey Burgers

1/2 pound of ground turkey
1 tablespoon panko
1 teaspoon worsestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon crushed rosemary
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients and a bowl and mash mash mash. Mix up and form into patties. Cook in a pan on medium-high heat, until the outsides are golden and the interior is cooked thoroughly. This may take covering with a lid and turning down the heat, if you form especially thick patties (like I did, ahem).

cheddar cheese
spinach
onion
To top and make tasty. With some ketchup and mustard. Oh, and a bun of some sort.

Comments

Dr. Ew Newman said…
+Deleted the first one cause of all the damn spelling errors+

That looks tasty. I actually had gone out and gotten some ground turkey because Alex cant eat beef. I need to expand my spices and seasoning portfolio but if you ever have a hankerin for a grilled taste, those "grilltime" mesquite and bbq spices are awesome, and typically for steaks on the grill, but work great in other stuff and add a ton of flavor. I think I used those two, paprika, red pepper, and I still don't know what cloves are for but i always throw a pinch into what i make too heheh. I shall have to pick your brain about spices sometime. Great stuff!