Loganberry Almond Bars


I actually made these awhile ago. I know, I know, I'm embarrassed to post these so late. I tell you what, between Comic Con, trips, working on animation, trying to find a new project-- it's been hectic! But I did go berry picking with Jeff (when I made this tart!) and we got raspberries, loganberries, olallieberries, and blackberries. I never had loganberries before so I had to do a search on what to make with them.

I found this recipe for loganberry almond bars and decided yes, yes, this was what it was going to be. The loganberries were great! We tried a few before they were even cooked and they were super tasty. The bars themselves were also good, the base of them were rich, they were very oatey. But the weird thing was they never seemed like they cooked all the way. They were rather soft and didn't have that golden-brown look to them. But they cooked for far longer than they should have. Whatever the case, they were good, even if not what I expected.

The berries all became a thin goop, it seemed like, more like a jam. The top and bottom layers are basically the same, with the berries squeezed between. It was a good dessert! We had it after Shepard's Pie (you know Jeff likes those). I did something not in the recipe and drizzled my loganberries with some sugar too so the filling would be sweeter.

Unfortunately I don't think I can find loganberries easily, so trying to make these again until next year might be hard-- as well as attempting other recipes with loganberries. But it's a good thing to try!!


Loganberry Almond Bars
Recipe adapted from Food Down Under

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup loganberries
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Oven at 350 Degrees Fahrenheit

Spray and prepare a 8" baking tray.
Mix the flour, oats, and sugar in a large bowl.
Cut the butter into the flour mixture and blend until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the almond extract.
In a separate small bowl, mix the loganberries with sugar.
Reserve 1 cup of the oat mixture and press the remainder into bottom of the pan. Add more mixture if needed to cover the pan. Cover the bottom crust with the loganberry mixture. Add almonds to the reserved oat mixture and sprinkle over the berries, press it down juuust gently. Bake 25-30 minutes until edges are golden brown, cool in pan. Cut into bars.

Comments