Lemon Ginger Cookies

I've had a growing list of blog posts that I wanted to try in my own kitchen. It start sometime-- sometime earlier this year, probably. I remember being very disappointed because I saw this recipe for lemon ginger cookies in december or january or something... and I wanted to wait for summer to make them. Because, as I've stated multiple times, summer is the time for lemon-- it's all refreshing and cool and delicious. I've made so many lemon things with still some yet to come and I wanted these to be part of it.

I had the plan to make lemon cookies for awhile too. I kept putting it off because Jeff wanted to make his bearshadow cookies, and then I made something else (I don't remember what), and also we were going places like San Francisco... so I eventually was able to settle down and make them.

I really enjoy baking. I think you can tell, because I might post more baked goods than dinner or lunch of breakfast goods. I believe that's because usually when I make dinner I throw things together and they always come out tasty but I never really think they're blog worthy. They're not a production. I also make a lot of chocolate chip cookies that I no longer post here, because I've already made three posts for chocolate chip cookies and that seems like it's enough.

But I do make a lot of sweets, though they're not all I eat. I also make a lot of macaroni and cheese, but that's often the Kraft kind because it's one of my favourite things in the world.

I know... I know... it's Kraft. But... but it's amazing.

Anywho... these cookies. They were nice. They were very soft, and refreshing. I think the ginger overpowered the lemon just a little bit... so I kind of felt like I was just eating more ginger cookies, but a lighter version of the bearshadow cookies. The lemon did ring through, just not quite as strongly as I would have liked, but they were a very delicious cookie and I'm glad I found them at Coconut & Lime.

But to be honest with you? I made these so I could make lemon bars. Hahaha. But they were amazing and they stood on their own, really. You'll find that my pictures aren't as lovely as hers. Mine are much whiter... and I believe my cookies turned out much whiter too. Her recipe asked for golden syrup which I could only find on the internet, and I didn't want to order a whole tub of it because I didn't know how often I would actually use it. I had never heard of it before, too, so I had to wiki it to know what the heck it even was.
I ended up using a mix of honey and molasses (more honey though), which is what I've done for gingerbread before... I wanted to use some of my light corn syrup too... but I had left it at my house and I made these at Jeff's.

The recipe also called for demurra sugar, which I just happened to have from accidentally collecting packets of Sugar in the Raw slowly from Starbucks.

Enjoy!! MWAHAHAHA!

Lemon Ginger Cookies
Minorly Adapted from Coconut & Lime

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon lemon juice
zest of two lemons
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest of two lemons
raw cane sugar for sprinkling

Oven at 350 Degrees Farenheit.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, and molasses and blend well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking powder and salt. Add it to the butter and sugar mixture and mix thoroughly to combine. Roll the dough into small balls and roll them in a plate of the demerarra sugar. Place the cookies two inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 8-12 minutes or until set and the bottoms are golden.

Comments