Drop Biscuits

Biscuits are obviously awesome. I got the idea to make these from Obsessed with Baking. I wanted to make something for breakfast, and I kept wanting to make this cinnamon chip danish, but I can NEVER find cinnamon chips!! Does anyone know where to buy cinnamon chips?! It's insane how rare they seem to be in Los Angeles, and I know I could never find them in Savannah.

But since I couldn't make those, I made these instead. Like a girl who went to school in the South, I love biscuits. Like a girl whose roots are in the south, I loooove biscuits and gravy.
I also love cheddar bay biscuits, but that's another post...


These tasty biscuits were the product of simple work, because they're drop biscuits. The sausage is actually italian sausage that Jeff used to make lasagna awhile back. I used it to make little patties, and then I made up quick (and slightly bland much to my disappointment) sausage gravy out of it. It was STILL really good. You can super taste the fennel in this italian sausage, I wasn't sure if the gravy made it more pronounced. I'm more used to spicy southern sausage, myself.

The biscuits turned out fluffy with a slightly crisp outter edge. Very good, very biscuity, but not quite what I was hoping for. One of these days I'll have to make Alton Brown's biscuits and really give them a go.

They made a huge serving which I tried to make Jeff eat all of while we went disc golfing, but we didn't end up eating them all. I think there's some still in his freezer, but I'm not sure. You may want to eat those, Jeff.


Best Drop Biscuits
Recipe by Cook's Illustrated

2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup cold buttermilk
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (about 5 minutes), plus 2 tablespoons melted butter for brushing biscuits

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475°F.

Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in large bowl.
Combine buttermilk and 8 tablespoons melted butter in medium bowl, stirring until butter forms small clumps. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just incorporated and batter pulls away from sides of bowl. Using greased 1/4-cup dry measure, scoop level amount of batter and drop onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet (biscuits should measure about 2 1/4 inches in diameter and 1 1/4 inches high). Repeat with remaining batter, spacing biscuits about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until tops are golden brown and crisp, 12 to 14 minutes.
Brush biscuit tops with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Transfer to wire rack and let cool 5 minutes before serving.

Comments