Lemon Honey Chicken

I found what I used! I wrote it down! But I don't feel like changing my post so I'll just put it at the bottom!

I want to be able to give you the recipe for this. I mean, it wasn't great, it wasn't the tastiest thing I've made ever. But still, I've been very up to date to give everyone the recipes for everything I make (for the most part?).

I can tell you I was inspired by Kevin over at Closet Cooking. I liked the idea of honey and lemon, and I really wanted to do a lot of lemony things because... well, because when it gets to be summer time all I want to eat are avacados, berries, and lemons flavoured things. I often forget about "other foods". I also like leeks.

So I was totally into the idea of lemon and honey and chicken. I also wanted to do a breaded piccata like chicken. I'd been having a rough week (this was while Jeff was on his cruise) and that kind of heartiness really appealed to me....


I also wanted it to be decently healthy. I remember I defrosted the chicken and let it sit in a marinade of oil, lemon juice, salt, honey, and maybe some herbs (fuzzy there). After I let it sit for awhile I rolled it in a milk wash and then dipped it panko bread crumbs (unseasoned. I should have seasoned them).

I then pan fried them in a little bit of olive oil, trying to not burn the crust while cooking the interior. This has always been hard for me, and I get super nervous about undercooking chicken. Often the chicken'll still look pinkish when we coat it in crumbs or something like that, and it scares me, even though the 'heat reading' is fine and the 'juices run clear'.

Ergh, nervewracking.

From the... the drippings, or whatever, I believe I deglazed the pan with some wine, and cooked up some onions and garlic and did a lemon-honey glaze to pour over top the chicken. It was rich and tasty, I liked that part.

I sauteed up some asparagus on the side, seasoned mildly with a squirt of lemon juice and some sea salt and crushed mixed peppercorns. I liked them. Jeff doesn't like asparagus so I don't eat it as much as other vegetables... even though it's quite tasty. So this felt like the perfect occasion to have it. You can also see I boiled up some rotini (some of that Barilla Plus, I believe, which I like for the extra protein and stuff) to go along side of it, which was topped with a bit of parmesan cheese and pepper.

It was a tasty dinner, which I enjoyed. It wasn't difficult to make (though more difficult than some of our meals), and I'm only sorry I didn't write down the recipe-- stupid me!!-- to not only have for the future but to share.

Luckily, I don't really feel like it was SO GOOD that a few changes weren't in order. Hopefully I can use the same basis I had before and use it to make something new.

Also, I believe there was thyme in it.

I'm sorry for forgetting my recipe, sigh.

Lemon Honey Chicken

1/2 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp 5 spice
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/2 lemon squeezed of juice, with a little extra from the other half
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast

1/4 c panko crumbs

1 tbsp olive oil
pepper
1/8 cup white wine

Mix together the marinade ingredients in a plastic bag. Set aside some of the marinade. Place the chicken breast in the plastic bag and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
Place the panko crumbs out on a plate. When the chicken breast is done marinating roll the breast in the panko crumbs.
Heat the olive oil up in a pan. Once heated, cook the chicken. I didn't time it, but I imagine it'll take 10-20 minutes total. Remove the chicken from the pan.

Using the crust from the pan and the set aside marinade, bring the sauce to a boil and add the wine and freshly ground pepper. Reduce until a thick glaze.

Comments

test it comm said…
Your honey lemon chicken dinner looks great! I like the anko crust on the chicken.
phoenix said…
There we go! Here I was reading this and ready to comment and a refresh gave me the recipe!

This looks good, and definitely repeatable, even if you hadn't posted the recipe, so don't feel too bad about that.

I know how you feel about crusted and breaded meat though - I have a horrible tendancy to cook entirely too hot and wind up finishing the outside before the inside is completely done - it's okay in some cases, but definitely not in others. Glad to hear it turned out well, and it looks delicious (especially paired with that asparagus - it looks tasty too!)