Strawberry Cupcake Truffles


I'm in love with truffles. When Valentine's Day comes around I can't get enough-- it's one of the only times of the year that I ever get truffles (unless I go on a trip, sometimes I get them from specialty chocolatiers in a new city) but on a day to day basis, no truffles.

Around Valentine's Day I kept seeing posts pop up for making your own chocolate kisses, etc, usually using cupcake pieces and the like, or at least the frosting. I was thinking, man, what a good idea if someone doesn't eat all my cupcakes, because frankly, I seem to have more cupcakes than friends usually and most of us get fed enough as it and a lot of them are finicky about eating too many sweets.

So I made these, and I have slowly been devouring them. They are more amazing than the cupcakes, I keep them cold in the fridge (because otherwise they'll melt, the ganache I made was too soft), and each one is cold and sweet and creamy and heavenly. Le Sigh.


I just used the leftovers of my chocolate cupcakes, the strawberry frosting on them and also left over in the container, and a bit of the cheese vanilla cream I had for the 'filling' for the cupcakes. Heck, they made delicious cupcakes, I couldn't see why they'd make terrible truffles. After mixing them together, rolling them, and then letting them sit in the fridge, I dipped them in ganache and let them set again.

'Course, again, I made the ganache too soft. Alas, we can't be perfect all the time...


Strawberry Cupcake Truffles

Any leftover cupcakes
Any leftover strawberry frosting (recipe here)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons cream (I used half/half, shame on me)
1 teaspoon butter
a sprinkling of salt
a dash of vanilla extract

Mix together the cupcake stuff and frosting stuff, allow to chill for 30 minutes, then form into balls or shapes and chill again for 15 minutes or so.
While allowing to set, in a double boiler melt together the chocolate chips and cream. Mix in the butter after removing from heat, then salt and vanilla extract. Take each ball and dip into the ganache mix with a spoon. Place on wax paper and allow to set in the fridge or freezer.


Note: You probably wanna do something better for the ganache. I admit mine was subpar. Delicious, but I was in a rush and it definitely didn't set right.

Comments