Shepherd's Pie, Take 2.

Because Jeff helped me update my foodblog's beautiful layout to make room for the foodbuzz featured publisher stuff, I told him I'd make him anything he wanted (though I'd do that anyway, so really....)

Of course, he requested Shepherd's Pie. I believe that Shepherd's Pie and Lamb Risotto are the two things I make that Jeff REALLY LOVES. Maybe even more than apple pie. Granted, he really likes my meatballs and hamburgers, but man, Shepherd's Pie. He's a sucker for it, and I'm glad to make it. I love when he eats it and gets all happy and cheerful and hugs me a lot and rubs my back and coos his I love yous.

That makes it sooo worth it. Plus, it's easy!

Awhile back I also made Shepherd's Pie. It can be found in this post. At that time I didn't use enough fresh herbs to really give it the punch that we wanted. We had this Shepherd's pie at Cheesecake Factory that was awesome that had given us the inspiration-- but this time, I had the herbs. I had the herbs, I had the meat, I had the potatoes, and thus, I had Shepherd's Pie.

And it was really good. It was perfect and yummy and warm in my tummy. I feeeel like I might use MORE herbs next time, but heck, who knows. I think to Jeff, it was pretty perfect, and in the end, that's what matters....

Shepherd's Pie 2

2 medium white rose potatoes, cubed
2 medium red potatoes, cubed
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk (or until smooth)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
garlic powder to taste
1/4 large, sweet onion, chopped
1 roma tomato. chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
1/8 cup frozen green beans
1/8 cup frozen green peas
1/8 cup frozen corn
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound ground lamb
1/2 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon wheat flour
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
3 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemarry
1 teaspoon freshly torn sage
1 teaspoon freshy torn basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoon ketchup
1/8 cup red wine
1/8 cup grated cheese
caramelized onions

Oven at 450 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Boil the cubed potatoes until tender. Drain, then mash well, mixing in the butter, milk, Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Make sure to mix in enough milk to make the potatoes extremely creamy, and smooth enough to spread.

In a large skillet, drizzle some olive oil and two teaspoons of butter. Add all the vegetables but the tomatoes and start to cook. Add the ground lamb and beef, and cook until the meat has browned and it's juices have seeped. Add the Worcestershire sauce and tomatoes. Allow to simmer together for five minutes, then add the ketchup. Stir and fold to mix all together and allow to simmer until the tomatoes break down slightly. Add the red wine and herbs and continue to stir and simmer for another five minutes. Add the flour and whisk into the sauces, then remove from heat.

Pour the meat mixture into an oven safe casserole dish, spread to form an even surface. Top with the mashed potatoes, and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until brown. Broil for the last few minutes if necessary.

Remove from oven and topped with caramelized onions.

Comments