(Almond Chocolate) Cardamom Crescents

Though it may not seem like it, this week I decided to bake a lot of things. You'll see. I had the girls over on Tuesday, after I was laid off, and made these cardamom crescent cookies to enjoy with flowering tea that my friend Vicky brought. They complemented really well, and I really enjoyed munching on two... then three... then four of these yummy numbers. I really like cardamom, I've used it in my apple pie, I use it regularly in my sweet potatoes, and generally in a lot of sweet dishes I decide to make. I also have a recipe for cardamom crusted chicken breast which is quite delicious and I'll have to make for Jeff sometime.

This made quite a few cookies. Not only did I send Vicky and Karina packing with sweet potato cupcakes and cookies, I had a whole kaboodle bunch left for myself. Which I plan to give some away, but right now I also don't have any other cookies left at my house, so it's nice to have these. I know I'll need to munch on them on my free days.

I think the only complaint I have over these cookies is that they're really... really flaky. When I made my wedding cookies, I don't feel like they flaked as much, and it's a really similar recipe. I'm not sure why my dough was so dry, but I think next time I might moisten it up a bit (as of this one I added just a bit of milk to be able to form anything together at all). I think I'd also flatten them out a bit more, these cookies are quite thick, and while that's delicious, I could go for a thinner cookie next time.

There are a lot of bad things about my current situation, but one thing I'm irritated over at the moment is that I saved a lot of the recipes I wanted to try on my work computer, so I have a full list in my favourites folder for Firefox that... that I may never get to try. Also, my Foodival layout is on the work computer, as well as a majority of the photos you see here on Foodival. I know I'll be able to get them back, my boss is a very nice man, who hated to have to let me go (oh, the economy), but he's very busy, so it's just a matter of when...
Here's hoping that I can find something new in the animation field soon so that I can bring more and more recipes to Foodival. :)

Cardamom Crescents
Very slightly adapted from Kumquat Connection who got it from Scraping the Skillet.

1 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1 cup almond flour or meal
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/8 cup sliced almonds
powdered sugar

Preheat your oven to 350°.

Mix together the cardamom and flours. Set aside.
Cream together the butter, sugar and extracts until light and fluffy. Add in the flour mixture and chocolate chips and mix until thoroughly combined. The dough will pull cleanly away from the sides of your bowl.
Measure dough in rounded tablespoon quantities and roll each dough ball into a log with your hands and shape into a crescent.
Place shaped cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and gently press into the final shape you wish them to have. They will puff a little, but don't spread very much, so you can place them as close as 1/2 inch.
Bake at 350° for 15 -20 minutes, until they begin to brown on the tips.

Comments