Lavender Infused Hot Cocoa


I was clicking through blogs yesterday with no real aim other than to distract myself and I found a lovely post about a girl who had found lavender infused white hot cocoa, and made for herself lavender infused dark hot cocoa (which sounds amazing). I really wanted to try it, so in the middle of the night last night after seeing a friend's show up at The Viper Room, and standing a lot in the cold and coming home to a cold wood floor... this seemed like the perfect before bed treat.

Lavender has therapeutic properties in it's aroma. It helps you sleep, helps you relax, and that's why people would always put it under pillows. Or in rooms next to the bed. I find it's delicious in shortbread cookies. But this was something I hadn't thought of, and I really liked the idea.

I didn't have dark chocolate. All I had was Ghirardelli (my cocoa of choice) Sweetened Cocoa Powder and also some semi-sweet Ghirardelli chocolate chips tucked away for cookies.

This was really a super simple process. I couldn't resist blending in a little cinnamon.

Lavender Hot Cocoa
Recipe from/inspired from A Good Appetite

1 mug of milk
1 rounded teaspoon dried culinary lavender flowers
2 tablespoons Ghiradelli Cocoa Powder
A small handful of Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
A Pinch of Cinnamon

Fill a tea bobble with the lavender flowers and place in a small saucepan with the milk over medium heat and allow to warm and steep for 15 minutes. Remove tea bobble and strain any flowers that escaped. Return milk to pan and add chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and cinnamon, and whisk until it all runs smooth and tastes deliciously chocolatey.

Top with whipped cream if desired (we did, after the photos were taken).

I slept very easily.

Comments