Italian/Mexican/Russian Wedding Cookies

The other day, Jeff and I were at Wal-greens, combing the aisles for those giant paper binders to clip together storyboards, when I spotted a small tin of those buttery, delicious danish cookies that come out this time of the year. 'Tis finally the season! I got very excited, but couldn't find a tin with my favourite cookie in it (the spirals, the deliciously spiraled yummy shortbreads, sometimes sprinkled with sugar on top). Yes, yes, I know they all taste the same, mostly, in the end... but those hold a special place in my heart.

While on the topic of danish cookies, I got around to thinking about what truly IS a Christmas cookie to me, more than sugar cookies, more than danish cookies-- these beautiful and delicious wedding cookies. Their lineage seems to be global, with the only real difference often coming to be... pecans.. or almonds?

Since I was on a Mexican themed dinner (sort of), with the carne asada quiche, I decided to follow with these Mexican wedding cookies. Not only was I theme-ing it up, but their buttery, slightly sweet, slightly salty, always nutty flavour just hits me as festive. Their crunch and their dusting of snow. No, these cookies can do no wrong.

And what else is better for this season, so close to the Holidays, than festive little drops of joy?

A quick google search found me a recipe on one of my favourite sites, AllRecipes. I altered it a little, but really, these morsels are super easy to make-- they only contain the basics. Butter. Sugar. Flour. Salt. Nuts. They're delectable and easy. All it takes is creaming and setting onto a baking dish.










Wedding Cookies
Adapted from Bernie's All Recipe's Recipe


Ingredients

1 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons milk
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped almonds

Confectioners sugar to coat.

In a medium mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add in the sugar in a steady pour, and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Mix in the extracts and milk, followed by the flour and almonds. Once mixed thoroughly, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour to 3 hours.

Heat the oven to 325 Degrees Fahrenheit and spray a cookie sheet.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and form into small balls. Place evenly on the cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and evenly cooked. Allow to cool completely.

Pour the powder sugar into a bowl and roll each of the balls/cookies in it, patting down until silky and smooth. Do a final dusting of powder sugar and serve.

Comments