Carne Asada Quiche

Since I made my pumpkin pie quite a few weeks ago in which I made a pie crust which I forgot at work and couldn't use for that pie, I'd been dying to make quiche with it. I stuck it in the freezer, and thought of a tasty idea.

Then I searched and searched for Poblano Chili peppers to no avail. I replaced them with pasilla, and used anaheims as well in this delicious Carne Asada Quiche. I recognize that in traditional carne asada, it's customary to cook it over a (mesquite) charcoal grill. Since I have to cook indoors (sigh), I just used my indoor grill. I thought later it might be nice to add some liquid smoke to the marinade to at least sort of give it that cooked outdoor feel. Perhaps next time!



Carne Asada Quiche

Carne Asada Marinade

Ingredients

1 pounds flank or skirt steak
Olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 jalapeƱo chile pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small handful fresh cilantro, leaves and stems, finely chopped (great flavor in the stems)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup olive oil

Combine all the ingredients in a baking dish or bowl deep enough to hold the marinade and steak comfortably. Rub the salt and pepper into the steak, place in marinade and turn to well coat. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes to 2 hours. Make sure to go back and flip the steak and redistribute the marinade every so often.

To Cook:
Heat an indoor grill (which is what I had to use) to 400 Degrees. Grill each side until obvious grill marks are indented and inside is cooked, medium-well. About 7 minutes each side (for how thick my flank steak was, which is weird).

Quiche

Ingredients

1/2 pasilla chili pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 anaheim chili pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 large sweet onion, julienned
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/2 avacado, chopped
1/2 pound of carne asada, cut into strips
1/4 cup oxaca cheese, grated
1/4 cup asadero cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
4 eggs
3/4 cup milk
a pinch of nutmeg
a couple drops of hot sauce
salt and pepper
1 unbaked pie crust(10")

Oven at 400 Degrees Farenheit

Whisk together the eggs, milk, nutmeg, and hot sauce in a small bowl. Combine all ingredients in the pie pan, briefly fold together and stick in the oven.
Cook for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 350. Cook for 40-45 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool slightly, cut into slices, and serve.

Comments