Herb Encrusted Roast Leg of Lamb

Lamb is my favourite meat. It's rich and tender, it's got a gaminess that I adore, and it goes so well with flavours that make me completely happy (mint, basil, wine, orange, cinnamon, saffron, oh so many!). It's one of those meats that I use to especially please the boyfriend, and is really good on Holidays, so a roast lamb seems like a good choice for Christmas. I've made it before for Easter, and I based my lamb risotto off of that dish (which I will someday make for Foodival).

The roast was tender and flavourfull, it went especially well with the cabernet risotto and the woodsiness of the mushrooms. Serve some mint pesto with it and you'd still be good to go, which makes me believe this is a good all around dish.

For Christmas I used a lot of recipes from other people, which is something I don't do that often normally. These are all things I found by browsing the internet, and food TV is one of the main places I go. I find that when I make something from, say, Alton Brown or Rachel Ray, I usually alter it just slightly to meet my own tastes-- but I also use what they've done to teach me or inspire me for the future. It's a good thing to do.

Herb Encrusted Roast Leg of Lamb
Recipe from Emeril Lagasse

1/8 cup dijon mustard
¼ cup red wine
1 ½ tablespoons minced garlic
¼ cup olive oil
1/8 cup minced fresh mint
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black peppercorn
1 3 lb boneless leg of lamb, trimmed of fat
3 large carrots

In a bowl whisk together the mustard, red wine, and garlic. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil to form an emulsion, then whisk in the herbs. Rub the lamb with salt and pepper, then with the emulsion, coating the outside completely. Place the lamb in a large plastic bag and cover with any remaining marinade. Seal the bag, refrigerate and let marinate for 8 to 48 hours turning the bag occasionally.

Preheat the oven to 350

Place the lamb in a large roasting pan ontop of the carrots and roast until the thickest part of the lamb registers 155 for medium well. Rest 15 minutes and serve.

Comments