Carrot Cake Shortbread

I made these shortbread cookies around Easter! They were mighty tasty. I believe my shortbread was a little softer (or, rather, the dough was) when I was making it than it should have been, however... the cookie parts turned out relatively good, despite being a bit prone to cracking. I also feel like my 'frosting' came out a little softer than it should. Perhaps my kitchen had been too hot that day... as of now, it's hard to remember. I think I made these in my current apartment, and it isn't like it really gets that hot...

THIS ALL ASIDE-- because honestly, is it really that important (the answer is no), these were quite good! They were very rich, and I... I think that maybe I was not the biggest fan of all the cookies I've made. Now that I think more about it, I bet the shortbread could have done with some nuts. Or the frosting. I think the original recipe actually had a giant walnut on top, and I should have done that but forgot while I was making them. That would have really made these cookies feel like they were going all the way.

Honestly, I wish I had more to say. I am including the recipe, which I used from a cooking blog (Piggy's, linked below) and I had it in my storage banks for recipes for what felt like quite a long time. It was one of the recipes I was waiting for a certain time of year to use... carrot cake and carrot bread usually make me think of early fall or Easter time. I'm sure it's because of things like Thanksgiving and Easter (the Holiday feast) that make me feel that way.

Okay, but seriously, I am going to stop rambling. I soon will be out of posts about things that I made so long ago I've completely forgotten about. I think. Honestly, I haven't pulled photos off my camera in awhile.

By the way, I opened up an art blog! Right now it is all the same drawings I have on facebook and/or Deviant Art, but it is there none the less. I have also been thinking of layout changes for Foodival (as well as) making a layout for it. I believe I called it Art Timez. It is creative, yes?

Carrot Cake Shortbread

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup shredded carrot
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon shredded carrot

Oven at 300 Degrees Fahrenheit.

In a medium bowl, beat the butter, carrot, and vanilla extract until creamy. Transfer butter mixture to a piece of clingwrap, shape into a log, and freeze for 20 minutes.
Stir together the flour, cinnamon, salt, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Remove the butter mixture from the freezer and add into the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter mixture into the flour mixture until it resembles fine crumbs and clings together. Knead the dough until smooth and it forms a ball.
Using a rolling pin, roll the dough on a lightly floured surface into 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out cookies with a 1 1/2 inch fluted cookie cutter. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies turn slightly brown.
Separately, in a medium mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in the shredded carrot.
Spread the frosting on about half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies. Serve!

Comments