Honey Walnut Baked Apples


Sometimes I like to be healthy. Really! I know I make a lot of pastries and I'm not exactly the most health conscious person to eat nomnoms, but sometimes I really do like making healthy things! This is... more on that path. I actually meant to make two of these, but I didn't end up using the other apple (I forgot it was in the fridge [yes I keep my apples in the fridge]). But Brian and I ate this for dessert one night after a deliciously filling meal. It was good-- nice and rich and juicy without being excessive. It felt nice, healthier than my usual cake/cookie/brownie/chocolate creations. I like baking, but sometimes it's nice to just make something simple and more au natural.

I really think I would've liked to use a Honeycrisp apple for this-- I loove honeycrisps (and pink ladies). Unfortunately my grocer didn't have either, so I used a... a granny smith, I believe. Or maybe a golden delicious? Its sort of hard to tell and I don't really remember. Like most things I've been updating with recently, I made this awhile ago. I really should do better at catching up (sorry, readers).
Or maybe this was a honeycrisp. Hmmm. Those are usually like, the only applies I buy. But whatever the case, the skin sort of got... soggy, I think I cooked it too long. But the apple was sort of caramelized by everything, which went well with the ice cream. It was a nice treat-- I should make more, except that I haven't been feeling up to cooking a lot lately. Though Brian and I made a tasty Easter dinner together last night and that was fantastic. :D

Anywho, that's it for now, more updates soon! Sorry this one is mostly pictures! :D




Honey Walnut Baked Apples
Recipe from Cooking by the Seat of my Pants

1 medium apple
1 teaspoon sugar
a dash of cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, or in a deep bowl or cup in the microwave. Add sugar and cinnamon to a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add honey and melted butter, whisk until smooth. Stir in walnut pieces sit a long spoon. Set aside.

Core the apple and cut a shallow slit around the center of each apple, just through the skin, approximately 1/8 of an inch deep. Fill each apple with 1 to 2 tsp of the filling mixture. Arrange in a high-sided baking dish just large enough to hold the apples. (I used an 8-inch square baking dish for these, but a pie tin would have worked as well.) Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until apples are tender. If filling begins to blacken, cover the apples with foil and continue cooking.

When done, set on serving plate and serve immediately with a little honey or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Comments