Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies

The simple unimposing chocolate chip cookie. That's what this photo reminds me of. I have made so many chocolate chip cookie recipes it's not even funny... they're a classic request. These I made for a party held at Brian's house-- months and months ago. Maybe in November? Or December? I don't remember. Maybe it was in January. Whatever! That doesn't matter...

I decided to try out a different style of cookie. When I make CCCs, they're soft, tender, slightly crisp on the edge, spicy, sweet, with a bit of a salty bite. So, I found this recipe on Chow for crisp CCCs. Crisp? I never make crisp cookies. I tend to avoid crisp cookies. But after talking about it with Brian, he expressed his enjoyment of crispy CCCs. He likes it both ways, apparently. He would. ;)

So I made them for the party. They went over alright. I wasn't very impressed (I'm sorry!). They were too salty, in my opinion, and kind of floury. Not very crisp, either, and I'm not sure why... I followed the recipe, but it just didn't come out... how it should, I suppose.

The pictures were taken by my friend Mel, a sweet and hot chicky who likes to carry around a camera to the various parties. That's why they're more artistic than normal, and I approve of them.


Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe from Chow

1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips

Oven at 375 Fahrenheit.

Whisk the flour and salt in a medium bowl and set the bowl aside. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well, making sure to incorporate thoroughly. Mix in the flour. Using a large spoon, fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon onto a cookie sheet, 3 inches apart and bake until the bottoms are golden brown, approximately 10-12 minutes.
Cool for 10 minutes and serve!



*So, if I were to suggest changes to this recipe, which I haven't tried, this is what I'd do.
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar (light brown sugar will have too much moisture, won't be as crisp)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (there were a lot of chips)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (not sure about this)

Comments