Colcannon

For a last minute minute St. Patrick's day festivity offering, I decided to make Colcannon for the honey, who I believe does have quite a bit of irish (he describes his chin as Irish. I believe it's because his beard is reddish, but he said something about it's shape, I dunno) in him. I've made colcannon once before, when I was younga'-- in college. Everyone came over, I had made colcannon and irish soda bread (from scratch!). I can't remember what I thought of it back then.
Apparently it's a tradition in Brian's family to have boiled corned beef and cabbage. I've never even had corned beef, so I wasn't about to step into those britches. Boiled cabbage I could do-- and for the amount of colcannon I have I'll have plenty left over for him to have with some...... uh, chicken, I guess.

As I'm boiling the cabbage I am aware of the odor it is releasing. Apparently this is a problem for most people, but I think it actually smells rather tasty. It makes me think of butter. Hmm.
Colcannon is apparently a traditional Irish dish-- with ham, or leeks, or kale, or cabbage, or any combination thereof. It's basically mashed potatoes. I'm making mine with red potatoes, because last night when Brian and I were e-mailing back and forth, he said "red potatoes!", and I like to give him things he likes. Skin on red potatoes, cabbage, salt, and a pool of butter. I'm looking forward to the butter, myself.

I'm also adding leeks to this.... I've read its often done. Partially just because I -love- leeks. I love them. Brian's not a huge fan (though I added some to our pasta the other night and he said they 'weren't bad'. Hah!!).

I think the hardest part about making this will be waiting for Brian to get home. He may or may not be off of work right now (he tends to leave any time between 5:30-6:30), but I already started making it. Because I'm sort of silly. Also, I avoid things I have to do and sometimes cook instead. But waiting to eat it will be hard-- I might try a bite before he gets back.

I did--it was good, and he enjoyed it as well. :D
It did make us a bit stomach-achey after some beer that night though. Forewarning. Anyway, yay!! Colcannon!

Colcannon

1 1/2 pounds of red potatoes
1 small head of cabbage, decored and sliced
1 tablespoon butter
A few leaves of leek, chopped
milk
salt and pepper
a dash of mace
1/4 pound of ham


boil the cabbage in a large pot until tender. Remove from water and drain. Fry in a pan with 1 tablespoon of butter until dried out a bit. Add the potatoes to the cabbage water. Boil until tender. Meanwhile, in a small pot, heat the chopped leek and milk. Mash the potatoes, add salt, mace, and pepper. Add the leek and milk. Add the cabbage and mix until fluffy. Add the ham and mix a bit more.
Serve with a well of salted melted butter. Enjoy!

Comments