Pumpkin Pie and South Park!

So my boyfriend works over at South Park Studios doing crazy awesome animations. During a run, he'll work pretty much every day all the time. Since that's the case, we all get together on Wednesday night's (as I think I've explained before) to watch South Park and eat yummies.

A few weeks ago, to celebrate the coming of fall and everything, I made pumpkin pie. This is the recipe that I created last year for Thanksgiving, which is ultimately one of my favourite holidays because I get to cook so much for so many people. I use a few nontraditional ingredients with a few traditional methods. I roast my own pumpkin to get the puree (though, this time, my boyfriend did it for me as I was working!). It's something I look forward to.


I forgot to take pictures until pretty much everyone had eaten the pie. As I was chowing down on my slice, I took one lonely picture, and luckily it turned out pretty good.

I made a crust for this pie which I took to work with me so I could have it ready at the boyfriend's house.... and then I promptly forgot it at work. We had to run out and buy premade Marie Callender frozen pie crusts for this pie. I've decided I'll make a quiche with the pie crust I was going to make this out of... and so you'll see that later.

It took me awhile to get the courage to put recipes up here. I have it in mind to make a cookbook someday, but recipes are meant to be shared.
That said, here is the recipe for my personal pumpkin pie.


Ingredients

2 eggs
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pie crust

Preheat the oven to 450 Degrees. In a large mixing bowl, slowly mix the sugar into the pumpkin puree. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and spices. Stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin puree, then mix in the syrup. Beat the ingredients well. In another separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the vanilla extract, then add them into the pumpkin mixture. Slowly mix in the evaporated and cream, combining until well blended. Pour the batter into an unbaked pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven to 325 Degrees. Continue baking the pie for an additional 30-45 minutes or until a knife is inserted into the mixture and comes out clean. If the mixture doesn't seem to want to set and starts to brown, remove from the oven and allow to sit and cool for a few minutes, then test with the knife again.


Be sure to strain your pumpkin puree. This time I didn't have time, and so the pie came out a little soft... but if you happen to not strain, I'd cut back a bit on the evaporated milk.

Comments